Sunday, September 10, 2006

Firsts

The first are always scary, the first time you rode a bike, or the first time you really pissed off your parents (although in that case the second and third times are also scary), but first times can also be exciting, like riding your bike down the really big hill for the first time without falling off or face planting into the curb. So, maybe you can understand that my first post is a little scary and exciting for me.

In situations like this I am reminded of a book that really good teacher gave to me, Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott, it is a book on writing. Near the begianing of the book, Lamott, writes about a time her brother had to write a repot on birds. Like most people (or at lest me), her brother put almost the entire report off until the last minute. The night before the report was due he sits at the kitchen table frecking out about how in the world he is going to finish the report before the morning. Their father walks into the room, sits down next to him and says, something along the lines of, "Son, just take it bird by bird." There are times when people are presented with situations that seem so daunting that instead of getting to work on what can be done, they sit back and wonder how it could ever be done. So by taking things bird by bird or word by word, the person finds that they are almost done. See, I'm almost done!!

I have no intention about writing an 'about me' page, by reading my post you will learn just about all that there is to know about me, nor do I intend to make any promises or guide lines for my post, I find them constraining. I will say two things though, I promise to tell the truth as best as I can, and I'm a really bad speller and I don't think that the blog's spell check works (I put in a made up word and it didn't mark it wrong), so if anything is spelled really bad post a comment and I'll change it. Ow, and don't be rude about it, your not funny and no one will ever know because I'll delete your comment, I have power!!

Kristin

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thought you could hide from me! The colors aren't working - but content is nice.

Yours